Gt Yarmouth Town FC 2003-2004


Bloaters v Canaries
Meet The Team
First XI Fixtures
First XI Match Reports
First XI Stats
History of the Club
Watch the Bloaters
The Wellesley Tour
Where are they now?
Exiles Page
The FA Cup Trail
Past Programme Covers
Contact The Club
Related Links
Help The Club

Great Yarmouth Town Youth play in the Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Eastern Division

MANAGER: Trevor Harrison

The club will be having some trials for next season's team in the near future. Any young players from the age of 15 are invited to participate. Dates and times are still to be arranged but any boys interested can contact the manager on 01493 721679 for details.


20 Aug

Dereham Tn


L 0-2


27 Aug



W 3-2

Jarrett 2, I Smith

03 Sep

Cambridge City


L 0-4


11 Sep

Fakenham Tn


W 3-2

George 2, Palmer

25 Sep

North Walsham Tn


W 3-1

Jarrett 2, Woodcock

01 Oct

Lowestoft Tn


L 0-3


08 Oct



W 3-1

York, Jarrett, D Smith

15 Oct



W 2-1

Furlong 2

22 Oct



L 0-1


29 Oct



L 2-4

George, D Smith

05 Nov



W 2-0

Cole, Anderson

13 Nov

Hemel Hempstead


L 1-4


19 Nov



L 2-3

Jarrett, Anderson

04 Dec

Harford Tornadoes


W 3-0

George, Woodcock 2

10 Dec



W 4-0

George 2, Woodcock 2

18 Dec

Diss Tn


L 0-2


04 Feb



D 1-1

Woodcock (p.)

11 Feb



L 2-3

Brooks, I Smith

18 Feb



L 1-2


25 Feb

Lowestoft Tn


L 1-5

I Smith

10 Mar



W 4-0

Nicholls 2, Morgan, Palmer

18 Mar

Norwich U


W 3-1

Woodcock, Morgan, Barnes

25 Mar



D 3-3

Woodcock, Jarrett, Anjos

01 Apr



L 1-2


07 Apr



L 1-5


15 Apr



W 2-1

Nicholls, Hack


Team: Pride, Palmer, George, Hill, Barnes, Cooke, Marshall, Nicholls, Kieron Hack, Anderson, I Smith. Sub: Will Shreeve (debut). Scorers: Nicholls, Hack.

Team: Pride, Anderson, Barnes, Hill, Cooke, Anjoss, Hayton, Nicholls, Morgan, Jarrett, I Smith. Subs: George, Palmer.
Scorer: Jarrett

Team: Pride, Ford, I Smith, Hill, Hayton, Cooke, Woodcock, Nicholls, Anderson, Guest, George. Sub: Anjos. Scorer: Hayton

Team: Pride, Ford, I Smith, Hill, Barnes, Cooke, Hayton, Nicholls, Morgan, Jarrett, George. Subs(all used): Woodcock, Anderson, Anjoss.
Scorers: Jarrett, Woodcock, Anjoss

Team - Pride, Palmer, I Smith, Hill, Barnes, York, Hayton, Cooke, Nicholls, Morgan, Woodcock. Subs: George, Anderson, Ford.
Scorers: Barnes, Woodcock, Morgan


The Youth team won their first game in six, defeating Diss Youth 4-0 at the Wellesley on Wednesday. The win established them firmly in the top half of the table.

A few well-chosen words from manager Trevor Harrison sent the boys out with renewed enthusiasm after a series of disappointing matches; the last win was also a 4-0, way back on 10th December! Warren Nicholls responded to being handed the centre-forward's role with two excellent strikes, in the 22nd and 76th minutes.

Gareth Palmer scored the second after 36 minutes, latching on to the loose ball after a Scott Woodcock free kick had been parried by the Diss keeper. Right on half time, Andrew Anderson's shot towards the top corner was finger-tipped away by Jonathan Beck, a superb save.

Ben Morgan's wide play was a feature of the match and he was rewarded with the third goal after 67 minutes. It was not all one way: the visitors' Adam Hain blasted over the top when gifted the ball by a bad Yarmouth pass in midfield in the first half and Bobby Hill cleared a second-half shot off the line to top a fine captain's performance by him.

With Elliott Pride taking a knock in the previous evening's first team match, Jamie Guest took over in goal and did not let the team down. The match drew another fine attendance of 40 on a cold and wet evening.

Team: Guest, Palmer, I Smith, Hill, Barnes, York, Anderson, Cooke, Nicholls, Morgan, Woodcock. Subs: Andrew Hayton (debut), Kieran Hack (debut), Anjoss n/u.


After a goalless first half, in which Yarmouth stubbornly held the free-scoring hosts at bay, Lowestoft quickly went ahead on the resumption through Kevin Oldman. In the next ten minutes, Scott Woodcock missed a glorious chance to equalise with a shot that was cleared off the line, as did Ian Anjoss and on 57 minutes it was 2-0 as Bradley Hough notched his 20th goal of the season for the Blues.

That looked like the end of the scoring until ten minutes from the end when there was an amazing burst of four goals. Lowestoft made it 3-0 in the 85th minute as Oldman got his second, but Yarmouth immediately hit back through an Ian Smith header from a Mark George cross. However, any thoughts of a Yarmouth late-show were dismissed as Lowestoft scored twice more, through Daniel Tacon and Ryan Bloomfield, in the last few minutes as the Blues completed a comprehensive victory, their 14th out of 14 starts.

New signing Ben Morgan made his debut, coming off the subs bench at half time.

Yarmouth: Pride, Ford, Cole, Hill, Barnes, York, Woodcock, Anjoss, Cooke, I Smith, George. Subs: Palmer, Anderson n/u, Nicholls, Morgan.

Team: Pride, Ford, Cole, Hill, Palmer, Cooke, Anjoss, Nicholls, Brooks, I Smith, George. Subs: Jarrett n/u, Marshall n/u, Anderson, York, Woodcock.
Scorer: George
Att: 100


Yarmouth had appeared to have returned to their old selves, following last weeks disappointing return to action after the long lay-off, when they took a 2-0 lead in 26 minutes. Louis Brooks, a late replacement for Warren Nichols who had been delayed, scored with a fine shot after only eight minutes, and Ian Smith hit home the loose ball after Scott Woodcock's effort had been pushed onto the bar by the visiting keeper.

But after half an hour Mulbarton-Hewett were awarded a penalty for a foul by Elliott Pride in a crowded goalmouth: Scott Sawyer scored from the spot, and Yarmouth were never the same again. In the second half, the visitors threatened to overrun the Bloaters and equalised in the 75th minute, with a winner coming four minutes from time.

Woodcock went for trials at Grimsby last Sunday and has been invited back for more this weekend.

Team - Pride, Ford, Cole, Hill, Barnes, Cooke, Woodcock, Palmer, Brooks, I Smith, George. Subs: Nichols, Anderson, York (n/u).


The Youth got back to action after a seven week break, and didn't it show! They looked badly in need of match practice in this 1-1 draw with winless Fakenham who have had an equally long lay-off but were well worth their point; Scott Woodcock equalised the Ghosts first half goal, from the penalty spot eight minutes after the break.

Mark George was unlucky in the first half with a shot that hit one post, rolled along the line and hit the other post before being put out for a corner! Shortly before they scored, Fakenham had a shot kicked off the line.

In the second half, it was Yarmouth's turn to have a shot cleared from the line, and ten minutes later when Woodcock volleyed home, the "goal" was disallowed for an offside.

Team - Pride, Palmer, Cole, Hill, Barnes, Cole, Ford, Nichols, Woodcock, George, I Smith. Subs: Brooks, Jarrett, Anderson.


League, Thurs. 18th Dec.

In their final match of 2003, the Youth side went down to second-from-bottom Diss Town. Diss recorded only their second clean sheet of the season, but needed a string of fine saves from 'keeper Jonathan Beck to do so. Apart from such saves, Yarmouth had two other good chances from corners, but Bobby Hill in the 10th minute and Mark George in added time both headed over.

Diss put together some good passing moves and from two of them came the goals. In the 54th minute, Fionn Goodwin-Wright played the ball through for Dean Ellis who beat a defender and Elliott Pride in goal. The second came late in the game, after 87 minutes, when Harry Reeves played a pass for Ellis again to control and slide the ball into the net from some 20 yards out.

Pride made some good second half saves from Archie Lamb (73 minutes), Ben Goddard (80) and Dan Brown (81).

Yarmouth - Pride, Ford, Cole, Hill (capt.), Barnes, Cooke, Palmer, York, Woodcock, George, I Smith. Subs: Guest, Brooks, Jarrett, Anderson n/u.


League, Weds. 10th Dec.

Yarmouth welcomed back Elliott Pride in goal after completing a suspension. He was in early action saving on the line in a goalmouth melee but otherwise had a relatively untroubled return as the inexperienced Dereham Youth struggled to create very much of their own while finding in-form Scott Woodcock too much of a handful.

Woodcock missed two early chances but went on to score twice. Mark George, who also notched a brace, opened the scoring after 17 minutes, latching on to an ill-advised back pass from near the centre circle, beating the keeper to it and slotting home from an acute angle. That was how it stayed until the final five minutes of the half when Woodcock scored his two goals, the first after a typical run down the left, the second after a mistimed tackle left him clear on goal.

In the second half, George missed a sitter, ballooning the ball over the bar but he made amends after 68 minutes as a Bobby Hill pass set up the chance. Captain Hill had a magnificent game, with his sure tackling and astute passing.

Woodcock went off after 74 minutes having given his all and his replacement Louis Brooks narrowly missed from George's pass shortly after coming on, and again in added time from substitute Daniel Barnes cross. The busy Brooks was then well-tackled as he was about to shoot just before the final whistle.

"It was a good performance, though not up to the standard of last week's win at Harford," said manager Trevor Harrison. "However, the goals were all well-taken and we are starting to show some consistency which has been lacking. The boys can all play football but you only get out of a game what you are prepared to put in and they are now reaping the rewards for their hard work."

The attendance of 40 was excellent (thank you, parents!) for a cold and dank December night.

Yarmouth - Pride, Ford, Cole, Hill (capt.), Palmer, Cooke, Nichols, York, Woodcock, George, I Smith. Subs: Brooks, Anderson, Barnes, Guest n/u. Att: 40.


League, Thurs. 4th Dec.

This was a great performance from Yarmouth, one of their best of the season, to exact revenge for a home defeat last month by Harford, and only marred by three avoidable bookings.

Yarmouth stated at a brisk pace and scored after only three minutes. Scott Woodcock picked up the ball on the halfway line and left several Harford defenders in his wake as he ran down the left touchline and centred to Mark George who hit a terrific volley home from 20 yards.

Yarmouth continued to have the better of the first half and it would not have been an injustice had they scored three or four more.

In the second half, captain Bobby Hill and Gareth Palmer marshalled the defence superbly and with Daniel Cook and Laurence York running the midfield it was not long before the Bloaters went further ahead. In the 56th minute Jamie Furlong, who had replaced Andrew Anderson at the break, exchanged passes with George who put Woodcock through and the striker's pace and tenacity enabled him to force his way into the box to score from close range as the home keeper advanced.

Twenty minutes later it was 3-0 and Woodcock was again the scorer: he picked up a ball, again on the halfway line, and his pace took him through four tackles before he slotted home for a superb individual goal.

Jamie Guest had a sound game in goal standing in for the suspended Elliot Pride.

Yarmouth - Guest, Ford, Cole, Hill (capt.), Palmer, Cooke, Anderson, York, George, Woodcock, I Smith. Subs: Nichols, Furlong, Brooks, Barnes n/u.


League, Weds. 19th Nov.

Four goals in the first eleven minutes got this match off to a cracking start. Yarmouth twice took the lead but were pegged back each time.

Harford were the first to show but keeper Elliott Pride advanced to block a shot after Alex Ingham had beaten the offside trap. Yarmouth the took the lead after six minutes when Scott Woodcock beat a defender to fire home. Two minutes later it was 1-1 but Yarmouth immediately restored the lead through Adam Jarrett who snapped up a rebound off the keeper from his own shot in the tenth minute. However another minute later and it was all square again as Gareth Palmer missed his clearance and a Harford striker drilled home the loose ball.

That was the end of the scoring for the first half but not the excitement as Pride saved a near certain goal with an extraordinary tackle on McFadden. Woodcock and Jarrett both had good chances, Woodcock's lob being touched over for a corner and Jarrett blasting wide of an open goal. Then a great tackle from James Cole on the edge of the Yarmouth box robbed Harford of another chance.

The visitors opened the second half with what proved the winning goal and despite near total domination Yarmouth could not find an equaliser. Woodcock twice set up Jarrett after some brilliant play but the centre forward could not take advantage before he was subbed. In a rare Harford attack, Pride produced another magnificent save knocking up a shot at the foot of a post then catching the rebound as it looked to be going over the line.

Woodcock was again the provider for the next chance, this time for George who muffed his shot, and Woodcock then took a shot himself only to see the ball strike the post and bounce clear.

The result was rough justice on a hard-working Yarmouth who, on the balance of play, did not deserve to lose.

One notable fact was that the attendance was greater than at the previous night's first team match!

Yarmouth - Pride, Palmer, Cole, Hill, Barnes, Marshall, Furlong, Cooke, Woodcock, Jarrett, George. Subs: Brooks, Nicholls n/u, I Smith, York, Ford n/u. Att: 43

Nov. 13th: Eastern Junior Cup 1st round


An older, more experienced and fitter Hemel Hempstead Youth deservedly won this game but the margin of victory did flatter them. Two of the goals were well offside but the young assistants missed them. The referee was also inconsistent, including booking Yarmouth players for fouls when similar ones by the home side went unpunished: however, he was correct in the cautioning of both Nicholls and Barnes.

Yarmouth had a good twenty minutes at the start of the game but were afflicted by the goal drought that has affected the first and reserve sides. Jarrett was looking confident enough to take people on, and George put over some fine crosses, one of which forced the keeper into a fingertip save onto the post and out for a corner. The home side conceded free kicks near either corner post but it all came to nought.

After half an hour, Flood sent in Hemel's nearest attempt so far but two minutes later they went in front when, with the Bloaters defence out of position, Marsh crossed and the unmarked Perrin sent in a header that sailed past Pride.

These two were then to prove the scourge of the Bloaters in the second half. Marsh grabbed a second for Hemel in the 54th minute and Perrin went on to complete a hat-trick.

Pride saved a couple of near-certain chances, and Woodcock restored some pride to Yarmouth when he headed home the best goal of the game from a corner to make it 2-1 after 65 minutes, but Perrin struck twice within a further five minutes with Deaton also striking the bar on 73 minutes.

Yarmouth gamely battled on and came close several times, but then so did Hemel as the home side just got stronger the longer the game went on.

Yarmouth - Pride, I Smith, Cole, Hill (capt.), Barnes, Marshall, Furlong, Nicholls, Woodcock, Jarrett, George. Subs: Anderson n/u, Guest n/u, Brooks, York, Cooke.

Nov. 5th: Eastern Junior Cup


Goals by James Cole and Andrew Anderson secured an excellent win for Yarmouth Under 18s in their first ever match in the Eastern Junior Cup. This was a Preliminary Round tie, and the young Bloaters reward is an intriguing match next week at Hemel Hemstead who, strangely enough, had beaten Wisbech 2-1 in this seasons FA Youth Cup.

After a couple of disappointing home matches recently, Yarmouth really dominated this match from the start. Scott Woodcock was a real handful for the Fenmen's defence but should have done better after only nine minutes when he elected to shoot as a pass to Furlong on his right looked the better option. Mark George was back at his best, and when he is on song the whole team usually follows suit. He produced an exquisite piece of magic after a quarter of an hour when he dragged the ball back then turned and shot all in one movement, the ball being put round the post by the scrambling Wisbech keeper Wright.

Yarmouth keeper Elliott Pride was then called into action for the first time on the half hour when he saved a near-certain goal with his feet. Not long after that Yarmouth took the lead when a corner was flicked in by defender Cole.

Yarmouth almost doubled the lead soon after the break when Woodcock's shot was turned round the post by Wright. Shales was mysteriously sent off for the visitors before Yarmouth, also mysteriously, were denied a penalty when Woodcock was seemingly brought down in the area.

The Yarmouth back four of Gareth Palmer, Cole, Daniel Barnes and captain Bobby Hill did a tremendous job in denying Wisbech any really clear-cut chances and Palmer saved the team twice with goal-line clearances when they did get through.

The substitution of Andrew Anderson for Adrian AJ Jarrett with about ten minutes to go proved inspired as within two minutes of his appearance the substitute had made it 2-0, finishing off a Cole pass. The team then relaxed and played out the final minutes in some style.

Yarmouth - Pride, Palmer, Cole, Hill (capt.), Barnes, Marshall, Furlong, Nicholls, Woodcock, Jarrett, George. Subs: Anderson, Guest, Brooks n/u, York n/u, Cooke.

Att: 47

Team: Pride, Anderson, Cole, Hills (capt.), Barnes, Marshall, Nicholls, Cook, Woodcock, Jarrett, George. Subs: Brooks, Guest, palmer n/u, D Smith, York n/u. Scorers: George, D Smith.


This was a shock defeat for the Yarmouth lads, the first match they have not won on home soil this season. As for the visitors, they celebrated long into the night their first win in this their first season in the league; in their four previous away games they had scored only five goals whilst conceding 24.

The only goal came in the 64th minute when Greg Bowler took a pot shot from 20 yards after breaking through a scattered defence: there was nothing that home keeper Elliott Pride could do about it.

As for Yarmouth, they gave as inept a display as any supporter could wish not to see. They tried to be too intricate and seemed to want to walk the ball into the back of the net, allowing Kirkley time to get back in numbers to defend. Even after the visitors scored their goal from distance, the young Bloaters did not take the hint. The nearest they came was a shot that hit the bar a few minutes from the end. Pick of a poor bunch on the night was Jamie Furlong.

As coach Derek Bevan so bluntly out it: "You get from a game what you put in, and we got just what we deserved - nothing!"

Team: Pride. York, I Smith, Hills (capt.), Barnes, Brooks, Furlong, Cook, Woodcock, Jarrett, D Smith. Subs: Cole n/u, Nicholls, Anderson, Guest n/u.

This was a first defeat of the season for the visitors by a Yarmouth side that was superbly led by Bobby Hills, captain for the night as Mark George had played for the Reserves the previous evening.
Both the goals were scored by Jamie Furlong, his first of the season, but the whole team played with a lot of character against one of the League's consistently strong sides. The midfield blend had been a bit of a problem recently but on this occasion Laurence York and Daniel Cook combined extremely well.
Yarmouth took the lead after 35 minutes when Furlong arrived late at the back post to finish off from close range. The lead was extended 30 minutes later when Fiurlong combined well with Scott Woodcock to score from 12 yards.
The visitors missed a penalty in the 75th minute as Elliott Pride pulled off a magnificent stop which was matched by another save by an outstretched boot after a one-on-one. Mulbarton's consolation goal came deep into added time.
Yarmouth - Pride, Ford, Hills, Barnes, I Smith, Furlong, York, Cook, Woodcock, D Smith, Jarrett. Subs: Anderson, Nicholls.


On Wednesday, Yarmouth played North Walsham at the Wellesley and repeated the 3-1 scoreline of their meeting a fortnight earlier. Laurence York opened the scoring with his first goal for the club after only eight minutes of the match when he rolled in a left-wing cross. It was 2-0 just before half time when Adam "AJ" Jarrett ran on to Darren Smith's pass and had time to pick his spot for his fifth of the season. In the second half, Smith himself got on the scoresheet finishing off a Woodcock cross after 65 minutes. North Walsham, without a point so far this season and increasingly under attack as the match went on, never gave up and were rewarded with a consolation goal from Chris Pickett a few minutes from the end.

Team: Pride, Marshall, Cole, Hills, Barnes, Cooke, York, George, D Smith, Jarrett, Woodcock. Subs: I Smith, Anderson, Palmer n/u.


League Cup 1st Round

This was an unfortunate result against the team the Youths beat in last season's final, but of course both teams were much changed by players having reached the age limit.

Elliott Pride was man of the match for Yarmouth with some brave and intelligent keeping but he was powerless to keep out the three goals, although the second was only scored with a home player a couple of yards offside.

Lowestoft opened the scoring after 30 minutes with a shot by Hebditch that found the roof of the net.

Adrian Jarrett had to retire at half time with an injury to his ribs, Gareth Palmer replacing him. A double save by Pride kept the score to 1-0 in the 57th minute but ten minutes later came the second Lowestoft goal and Hough made it 3-0 in the 80th minute as the Blues finished the stronger.

Team - Pride, Ford, George, Hills, Barnes, Brooks, Furlong, Yorke, Woodcock, Jarrett, I Smith. Subs: Nicholls, Palmer, Anderson n/u, Cooke n/u, Cole.

Team - Pride, Ford, George (capt.), Hills, Barnes, Brooks, Furlong, Yorke, Woodcock, Jarrett, I Smith. Subs: Nicholls, Palmer, Anderson n/u, Cooke n/u, Cole.

Team: Pride, Davis, Cole, Ford, Barnes, Cook, Furlong, Nicholls, Woodcock, Jarrett, D Smith. Subs: George n/u, Palmer, Anderson, Yorke.

Team: Pride, George (capt.), Barnes, Hills, Yorke, Furlong, Nicholls, Brooks, I Smith, Woodcock, Jarrett. Subs: Palmer, Anderson, D Smith, Cole n/u.

Sept. 3rd FA Youth Cup 1st Qualifying Round
Team - Pride, Ford, Barnes, George (capt.), Marshall, Yorke, Furlong, Nicholls, Anderson, Jarrett, Cole. Sub: Palmer.

Team: Pride, Ford, George (capt.), Hills, Barnes, Yorke, Furlong, Palmer, Smith D, Jarrett, Smith I. Subs: Cole, Nicholls, Anderson nu, Marshall nu, Brooks.
Team: Palmer, George (capt.), Anderson, Barnes, Yorke, Furlong, Ford, Nicholls, Smith D, Moore, Jarrett. Subs: Bain, Sunman.