Gt Yarmouth Town FC 2008-2009

Cornard v Bloaters, 09.08.08
Player Profiles
Awards 2007-08
Social Events
Who's Who
Members Page
Club Shop
News Archive
Matchday Food etc
2008/9 Friendlies
Fixtures 2008-2009
Players' Stats
Reserve Team
Youth Team
Under 9s
History of the Club
The Wellesley Tour
Contact The Club
Related Links
Help The Club

Saturday 9th August

Ridgeons League 1




Cornard 1 Darren Moyse, 2 Jake Ivory, 3 Dan Swain, 4 Simon Hyde (c), 5 Jake Holman, 6 Sam Holman, 7 Craig Springett, 8 Phillip Kelly, 9 Luke Hughes, 10 Ben Lawson, 11 Jamie Clark

Substitutes: 12 Dan Alston, 14 Mark Theobald, 15 Kurt Waterfield, 16 Chris Rhodes, 17 Ross Swain.


Bloaters – 1 Elliot Pride, 2 Adam Sewell, 3 Olly Savage, 4 Dominic Smith, 5 Adey Ager, 6 Alan Darby, 7 Darren Lamb, 8 Adam Sullivan (c), 9 Stewart Roach, 10 Nick Crawley, 11 Scott Woodcock

Substitutes: 12 Gareth Palmer, 14 Toby Gorbould, 15 Liam Bartley, 16 Jake Reed, 17 Michael Hilton.


Referee - Julian Gibbons


The Yarmouth joint managers named as strong a side as they could today, given that Cornard are renowned for starting well and had signed some experienced players in the close season. With several notable absentees today, there is some depth to the Bloaters’ squad this season: Pride won out in the battle of the goalkeepers, new signings Ager (making his debut) and Darby formed the heart of the defence and Woodcock joined the prolific strike force of Roach and Crawley. There was also a debut start for Savage and a return to the fold for Lamb. Youth striker Jake Reed, in good scoring form already in the U18 pre-season games, was named on the bench.


With rain falling steadily on a gloomy afternoon, Cornard won the toss and kicked off, but Yarmouth were soon into gear and a Lamb effort from Woodcock’s cross was cleared from the line in only two minutes to give the Bloaters the game’s first corner.


In the seventh minute, a Crawley centre allowed Woodcock a shot from 25 yards but this flew narrowly wide, and shortly after a Crawley chase to the by-line saw a free kick awarded Yarmouth just outside the box but this was defended well by the Cornard defence.


Cornard began to get forward, particularly through Lawson and Springett but Pride claimed all that was aimed at him, though one error coming out saw the ‘keeper struggling to get back into position but Lawson shot wide with virtually an open goal in front of him: a let-off, and a lesson learned.


A lovely floated cross from the lively Woodcock unfortunately did not find a Yarmouth player. Roach then shot wide but was to have better luck minutes later as Yarmouth took the lead. Not for the first time Savage and Woodcock combined neatly down the left hand side and when Woodcock crossed there was Roach at the near post to stab the ball past ex-Whitton ‘keeper Moyse in the 32nd minute.


Moyse was well-placed to push a Woodcock free kick round his post for a Yarmouth corner after 37 minutes. Little was now being seen of the home attack but Darby was on hand to clear when Clark found space on the right to cross, and his defensive partner Ager was also alert to intercept when needed.


HT: Cornard 0, Bloaters 1


Yarmouth went straight on the attack at the restart and Woodcock brought Moyse to his knees to save before the second goal arrived after 50 minutes of the game. Sullivan made a great interception in midfield and his run and pass to Crawley saw last season’s scoring sensation open his account for this term.


Two minutes later there was nearly a third: Crawley attacked on the right and from his cross Roach almost knelt down to head goalwards with Moyse scrambling to save at the foot of the post.


With captain Sullivan prompting continually from midfield, there was an irresistibility about Yarmouth and further goals looked likely. However, Cornard’s Lawson was still managing to keep Pride busy enough with another effort before the home side made the first changes on the hour, bringing on Alston and Theobald for Ivory and Swain.


Roach was then denied twice before getting  back into his own penalty area to head away a Cornard corner in the 68th minute. Yarmouth were now getting in some great teamwork and passing with Woodcock ever-prominent on the left. Smith played a great pass out to Crawley but with Roach in a good position Crawley played the cross too short and a grateful defender said thank you very much, then Woodcock put the ball into the ‘keeper’s hands when a lob might have been the better option.


However, with the number of chances being created another goal seemed inevitable and after some great pressure play by Sullivan it duly arrived in the 79th minute. The opening was made by Woodcock as his ball through to Crawley put the ex-Caister man in a position to finish coolly past Moyse.


Cornard came close to pulling one back when a shot slid back off a post and a follow-up header came thundering in only to find the alert Pride perfectly placed to make a safe catch.


Woodcock, who had given his all, was then replaced by Palmer as Yarmouth sought to tie up the midfield and play the game out. Lawson showed he had not given up with another effort on goal but this did not trouble Pride, before Crawley made it 4-0 with his hat-trick goal: this time it was Lamb who made ground down the right and sent in the cross for another great finish on 88 minutes.


Bartley then replaced Roach and saw his long shot fumbled round a post by Moyse. Yarmouth kept up the pressure with consecutive corners and a bout of keep-ball and Cornard’s vaunted ‘new team’ will have to think again.


FT: Cornard 0, Bloaters 4


Official attendance - 53


Paul Tong was well-pleased at the performance and the result which gave him his first win ever as a manager at Cornard. He was particularly impressed with Sullivan who showed great courage, determination and leadership in his captain’s role.