Gt Yarmouth Town FC 2008-2009

Dersingham v Bloaters 04.10.08
Player Profiles
Awards 2007-08
Social Events
Who's Who
Members Page
Club Shop
News Archive
Matchday Food etc
2008/9 Friendlies
Fixtures 2008-2009
Players' Stats
Reserve Team
Youth Team
Under 9s
History of the Club
The Wellesley Tour
Contact The Club
Related Links
Help The Club

Saturday 4th October 2008


Norfolk Senior Cup 3rd Round


Dersingham – 1 Adam Daniels, 2 Dean Glasscock, 3 Matty Wymer, 4 Lee Clarke, 5 Gary English (c), 6 Trevor Davids, 7 Paul English, 8 Billy Overton, 9 Ricky Toll, 10 Nelson Moreira, 11 Adam Seal. Subs: Dean Barrel, Richard Corby, Mark Burns, Steve Clarke, Daniel Pearman.

Bloaters – 1 Elliot Pride, 2 Johnny Watt, 3 Ollie Savage, 4 Gareth Palmer, 5 Adey Ager, 6 Alan Darby, 7 Darren Lamb, 8 Adam Sullivan (c), 9 Stewart Roach, 10 Liam Bartley, 11 Scott Woodcock. Subs: 12 Toby Gorbould, 14 Chris Squire, 15 Jose Vide, 16 Michael Hilton.

Referee – Jamie Broughton


Yarmouth made one change from Tuesday’s team v Fakenham, Chris Squire being replaced by Liam Bartley. It was not an afternoon for feint hearts with Dersingham meeting a Ridgeons club for the first time and obviously wishing to impress. Indeed, the home side attacked first through a corner kick but Davids’ weak shot was taken by Pride. Savage then delivered a good free kick into the home area but this was headed clear.


The onset of rain caused spectators to make for what little shelter there was and a blustery wind also made conditions problematic for the players. Dersingham were exerting some concerted pressure and Pride was the busier ‘keeper for a while. Then Yarmouth won a 13th minute corner and from  Woodcock’s kick Sullivan glanced a header wide of the far post. Moreira then forced a corner from Pride but the delivery proved harmless.


Savage delivered another penetrating free kick into the box after twenty minutes but it went disappointingly out for a goal kick. A minute later though another Savage delivery from the left touchline met with success as Roach glanced a deft header wide of Daniels and into the net via the far post to give the Bloaters the lead.


Dersingham kept up their breathless approach but Pride was not called upon to make a really significant save. Yarmouth had the more controlled approach and when Roach brought his long throw into action Daniels conceded a corner which the ‘keeper then punched away. Woodcock kept possession magnificently down by the corner and Sullivan, steaming in, won a corner with a deflected shot. On 40 minutes, Bartley was fouled in the centre circle and when Woodcock delivered the free kick it was only partially cleared and Lamb’s follow-up shot went just wide.


HT 0-1


At half time, Squire replaced Palmer who had a hamstring problem. Dersingham again started off on top and a strong cross from Moreira flew across the Yarmouth area but not in the vicinity of a home player. Shortly after, the dangerous Moreira delivered a left-foot curler high over the bar.


For all their possession, Dersingham had not really troubled Pride and slightly against the run of play Yarmouth doubled the lead after 58 minutes. Bartley took a pass from Sullivan and with a delicate flick floated an angled shot past the advancing Daniels and into the far corner with a defender chasing it in vain.


Dersingham seemed unable to get anything on target as another effort passed the post. Woodcock’s last contribution was a corner before he gave way to Vide in the 65th minute. The home side won a rare corner but Pride was equal to English’s shot, saving low down. With a quarter of an hour left Rovers brought on a couple of substitutes but Yarmouth always looked more likely to score again. Squire worked a good ball to Bartley who went round his marker and sent in a strong low cross that brought Daniels to his knees.


Home centre forward Toll then had two attempts: the first, a weak shot straight at Pride, then a free kick that required a touch from Pride to divert it for a corner which Yarmouth comfortably defended.  Roach nodded wide after a Squire free kick, and after a shot on the turn from English the home side made a final substitution.


Despite some useful  work in midfield, Vide had yet to make a significant contribution but then combined well with Bartley to send the youngster away down the left but only a throw-in resulted which was given away to the opposition.


However, in the fifth minute of added time, Vide won the ball in midfield and passed to Lamb on the left who took a couple of steps before unleashing a powerful shot from 25 yards that beat Daniels all ends up to put the icing on the cake for the Bloaters who thus progress to the next round when the Ridgeons Premier teams enter the competition