Gt Yarmouth Town FC 2008-2009

Diss v Bloaters (KOC) 07.09.08
Player Profiles
Awards 2007-08
Social Events
Who's Who
Members Page
Club Shop
News Archive
Matchday Food etc
2008/9 Friendlies
Fixtures 2008-2009
Players' Stats
Reserve Team
Youth Team
Under 9s
History of the Club
The Wellesley Tour
Contact The Club
Related Links
Help The Club

Tuesday 7th October 2008

Diss Town 3, Great Yarmouth Town 0

Division 1 KO Cup


Diss - 1 Mark Camidge, 2 Gavin Pauling, 3 Mark Shadrack, 4 Kevin Leggett, 5 Brendan Foley, 6 Leighton Miller, 7 Daniel McKail, 8 Luke Catchpole, 9 Ben Deacon, 10 Andy Moody, 11 Danny Partridge. Subs: 12 Steve Best, 14 Ed Cussons, 15 Steve Wright, 16 George Wilson.

Bloaters – 1 Michael Hilton, 2 Sam Watts, 3 Ollie Savage, 4 Chris Squire, 5 Adey Ager, 6 Toby Gorbould, 7 Darren Lamb, 8 Jose Vide, 9 Stewart Roach (c), 10 Liam Bartley, 11 Scott Woodcock.  Subs: 12 David Lawrence, 14 Tommy Gardiner, 15 Mark Thompson, 16 Elliot Pride.

Referee – John Mitchell


Yarmouth are still seeking their first win in the First Division Knockout Cup competition after Tuesday’s defeat at Brewers Green Lane.


This was a fairly low-key affair from both sides but there was no doubting Diss were worthy victors. Yarmouth were without several regular players who were unavailable for various reasons but joint-manager Paul Tong would make no excuses, preferring to extol the virtues of the younger players who came in.


“There were a lot of positives. Sam Watts was outstanding playing against probably one of the quickest players in both divisions, Danny Partridge, Toby Gorbould who has been waiting in the wings gave everything, and Tommy Gardiner gave a good account of himself when he came on.


“One or two players showed they were lacking in fitness but you can’t miss your big guns and expect to get a result. But they gave everything and we’re full of praise for them, can’t fault them. There’s a good spirit in there and they’ve just got to stick together and keep working.”


Of David Lawrence, a former player for the club at all levels who has now returned to Yarmouth and replaced Stewart Roach at half time, Tong said: “He’s got a bit of a hamstring problem but he’s a good player and hopefully will push one or two others which is what we want.”


Lawrence certainly added a new dimension to the attack and it was just unfortunate that he was again on the wrong end of a 3-0 result as he was the last time he appeared in the first team back in May 2002 when Yarmouth lost to Tiptree in the Millennium Cup final!


With captain Adam Sullivan amongst the absentees, Stewart Roach took the armband but the game got off to a bad start for the Bloaters as Chris Squire conceded a penalty in only the seventh minute when Andy Moody went down: Ben Deacon beat Michael Hilton from the spot as though the ‘keeper made contact with the ball the pace of the shot took it through.


Partridge was a constant danger down the Diss left and the home strikers were somewhat wasteful of his centres. It was 26 minutes before Yarmouth got a meaningful shot on target and then Adey Ager’s shot took a deflection for their only corner of the half.


Diss almost increased their lead just before half time when Danny McKail hit a post after a tumbling half-save by Hilton.


With Roach now off, Ager took over the captain’s role and he had the best Yarmouth shot of the second period which needed a goal-line clearance, shortly after which McKail hit the side netting for the Tangerines. Partridge then hit the goal he had threatened with an angled shot across Hilton to the far corner after 63 minutes.


Gardiner replaced Liam Bartley (68 minutes) and sent a penetrating pass up field where Scott Woodcock crossed to the far post and the onrushing Mark Thompson (on for Darren Lamb, 53 minutes) was just short of making contact. Partridge was then denied by Hilton who stood up well as the Diss winger raced in.


A Yarmouth corner caused problems for the home defenders until cleared up to Deacon who brought another fine save out of Hilton.


Diss brought on their three subs in the closing minutes, including Steve Best who thrashed a flattering third goal in added time to seal the win, much like Yarmouth had done on Saturday.


Attendance – 115.

Enter supporting content here