Gt Yarmouth Town FC 2002-2003
Youth Reports


Mark Vincent Special
Meet The Team
First XI Fixtures
First XI Match Reports
First XI Stats
Junior Teams' Results
Reserve Reports
A Team Reports
Youth Reports
History of the Club
Watch the Bloaters
The Wellesley Tour
Where are they now?
Exiles Page
Contact The Club
Related Links

The Youth XI is managed by Trevor Harrison and Derek Bevan


M Etchells 25 7, L Goreham 25 14, Ben Dixon 25 1, J Henderson 23 21, R Southern 23 13, M George 23 2, N McKay 22 1, S Taylor 21 4, W Nicholls 20 2, W Goreham 20 -, W Lewis 19 2, B Hill 15 -, E Pride 15 -, I Smith 12 2, D Smith 10 1, L Flynn 7 -, J Guest 6 1, T Rowley 5 -, R Cook 4 -, P Sunman 4 -, C Buckenham 3 -, I Moore 2 2, J Ware 2 -, W Woodcock 2 -, R Sinclair 1 -.


Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Mon. 28th April

Yarmouth Under 18s last match of the season saw them face their League Cup opponents again within four days of the final, with a repeat result.

Yarmouth were under strength with captain Nathan McKay and defender Will Lewis both missing so this was another very good result against the Eastern Division champions. Mark George took the captain's armband for the match and deservedly so.

Lowestoft took the lead through Alastair McKenna in the 25th minute and a lack-lustre Bloaters side did not test keeper Ben Willgoss in the first half. Lowestoft also hit a post just before the interval.

Yarmouth improved in the second half and equalised through leading scorer Jamie Henderson in the 63rd minute when he gave Willgoss no chance with a shot from six yards. Bloaters keeper Elliott Pride, the hero of the Cup Final, then saved Yarmouth when he diverted a goalbound shot for a corner ten minutes later.

Both teams then strove for the winner but the draw was a fair result. Yarmouth ended the season in third place.

The Youths celebrate!



Yarmouth won 9-8 on penalties

Thursday 24th April, Emerald Park

This extraordinary match commenced at 7.45 but a winner was not decided until 10.45 when Warren Nichols despatched the 28th penalty kick in the shoot-out competition after the teams drew 1-1 in extra time.

The game grew in excitement from a goal-less first 90 minutes in which Yarmouth had the better of the first half while Lowestoft came on strong in the second. Yarmouth were hampered when class defender Will Lewis had to go off injured near the end of normal time and although he attempted to return in extra time he was unable to continue and with all permitted substitutions having been made Yarmouth played the final 28 minutes with only ten men.

Despite many chances for both sides it was not until the 13th minute of extra time that a goal was finally scored when Luke Goreham took advantage of a rebound from Lowestoft keeper Ben Willgoss. It looked as if that would be enough but Lowestoft did not fold and equalised four minutes from the end of play through Alastair McKenna who had been a major threat all game.

And so to penalties, and a more nail-biting, gut-wrenching experience you could not imagine - and that was just for the spectators; what the players must have gone through doesn't bare thinking about. From the first two kicks, when Yarmouth's Elliott Pride produced an outstanding save and Willgoss was not troubled by Rob Southern's wide effort, the fate of the match swung wildly from one side to the other. Yarmouth could have won with their fifth penalty of the initial session but Man-of the-Match Mark George's shot was brilliantly saved by Willgoss.

And so on to sudden-death!Even the goalkeepers had their turn but the two teams appeared inseparable until penalty number 14 each. Pride produced another outstanding save and Nicholls knocked in his second penalty of the shoot-out to win the team's first trophy side reforming under Derek Bevan and now under the care of Trevor Harrison.

It was a game neither team deserved to lose and was a great advertisement for the league and its sponsors.

Yarmouth - Pride, Hill, Goreham W, Dixon, Lewis, McKay (capt.), Southern, George, Etchells, Henderson, Goreham L. Subs: Nichols, Sunman, Smith, Woodcock.

Attendance: 204


Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Thurs. 17th April

With Lowestoft winning 6-0 on the same night, Yarmouth Youth fell out of the title chase but could still finish second in the eastern Division of the Authentic Football Eastern Youth League. Assuming they are awarded the three points from the aborted Watton fixture, all they have to do is beat newly-crowned champions Lowestoft on April 28th at Crown Meadow and hope Mulbarton lose their last game against Norwich United!

The game was decided by a single goal scored early on when a cross was not cut out. It was a bad goal from Yarmouth's point of view and they went on to dominate the game but poor finishing let them down.

Luke Goreham, Robert Southern, Mori Etchells and Jamie Henderson, all proven goalscorers, all failed to make an impression on this occasion. "We looked the stronger all game," said manager Trevor Harrison, "but our makeshift side, with key players unavailable, was just not quite up to it on the night. We deserved at least a point."

Pointing out that the Mulbarton manager shared that view, Harrison thought the team gave a good performance overall that will have given them confidence for the league Cup final against Lowestoft.


Authentic Football Youth League, Weds. 9th April

Ipswich Wanderers were really outclassed in this match and Yarmouth should have won by more. An early cross from Wanderers spelled out a warning for Yarmouth but they countered when Luke Goreham hit the visitors' bar in the 5th minute and new signing Wayne Woodcock, enjoying an impressive debut, fired narrowly wide in the 12th minute. Captain Nathan McKay headed narrowly over from a 19th minute corner but Yarmouth deservedly went ahead in the 28th minute when a Mori Etchells cross was not properly cleared and he finished it off himself.

The young Bloaters went two-up soon after the start of the second half when Goreham rode a challenge and slipped the ball past keeper Woodrum from ten yards. Wanderers won their first corner after 52 minutes, but a minute later Yarmouth made it 3-0 when Rob Southern fired into the roof of the net after Etchells initially seemed to have wasted a good opening by delaying his shot.

Southern was playing havoc down the Yarmouth right and delivered a stream of crosses into the box. It was from one such move that Yarmouth went 4-0 ahead on 71 minutes when Jamie Henderson, who had replaced Etchells, fired home first time from Southern's superbly centred ball. Henderson then shot along the line but many moves were halted by offside decisions as Yarmouth eagerly sought extra goals to boost their goal difference which is inferior to that of section leaders Lowestoft.

Yarmouth's final game against Lowestoft will take place at Crown Meadow on Monday 28th April; though it is a home fixture, the Wellesley ground is unavailable on a mutually acceptable date. Lowestoft have 42 points from 16 games, second-placed Mulbarton-Hewett have 39 from 18 while Yarmouth in third place have 38 from 17. With the postponed game against Watton unlikely to be played now, the remaining League match is away at Mulbarton-Hewett on April 17th. Yarmouth and Lowestoft also have their League Cup final at Gorleston on Thursday 24th April.


Authentic Football Eastern Youth Cup semi-final, Weds. 12th March

Yarmouth will want to forget the first half. They could have gone into the break 3-0 down and Deeping will be cursing their luck as they saw an early shot come back off a post and rebound into Elliott Pride's arms, and as they kept up the pressure another shot was cleared off the Yarmouth line.

Yarmouth were playing too deep and too square, conceding the midfield too often. As the interval approached Yarmouth began to get it together for a spell but the spell was broken as Deeping took the lead; in the 44th minute, Chris Garnwell knocked in a rebound off the bar from a free kick for 1-0. Yarmouth had made too many mistakes and Deeping looked a yard sharper to the ball.

Derek Bevans half time team talk was said to be interesting - a bit like a Paul Tong rave! It did not have an immediate effect though as Deeping went two-up within minutes of the restart when Carl Griffiths was played onside and scored from close in. Then James Betts flashed a shot across the Yarmouth goal which had the home fans gasping.

However, Yarmouth had changed formation slightly, bringing Mark George into the midfield and when leading scorer Jamie Henderson was finally introduced after an hours play, the game swung in the Bloaters favour.

In the 67th minute Yarmouth won a corner and when it came over Mark George rose head and shoulders above everybody else to power a header past home keeper Dan Jarman from just outside the box. George was on fire and was involved in all the good things about Yarmouth from then on. Eight minutes later Henderson slotted home the equaliser from a free kick and Yarmouth were in the ascendency. Little more was seen of the Deeping attack and George had a point-blank shot parried by Jarman for a corner.

There was only going to be one winner now and Henderson confirmed Yarmouth's place in the final with his second goal in the 90th minute. Moments later Henderson was denied his hat-trick as Jarman took the ball off his head.

Tragedy for Deeping who must have thought they'd won it at 2-0, but ecstasy for Yarmouth who later learned their opponents in the final will be Lowestoft Town. A good comeback then, but should Henderson have been in the team from the off?


Note: no reports for the Wroxham (27th Feb.) and Fakenham (6th March) games.


Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Weds. 12th Feb.

Resuming their campaign after a month's lay-off, Yarmouth won a terrific game. It was a bitter night but the pitch was in good condition after recent rain.

Wayne Nicholls gave the Bloaters an early lead with a tremendous left foot volley - his first goal in Yarmouth colours - and the team were well in control when, with the defence under no real pressure, Dereham were thrown a lifeline when Nathan McKay felled a home forward in the box to concede a penalty from which Dereham equalised just before the break.

Play was even for a time in the second half as Dereham sensed they were back in it. But Yarmouth restored their lead with a cracking left foot drive from Luke Goreham. Yarmouth were then reduced to ten men as Will Lewis was red-carded for disputing a decision. However, the team dug in and played really well together and were rewarded with a third goal: leading scorer Jamie Henderson chasing a through ball got in front of a defender and buried his shot in the back of the net.

Dereham then threw everything forward but great team play from Yarmouth defended the 3-1 scoreline until the end. "It was a great game to watch, from both teams," commented club secretary Brian Smith.


Authentic Football Eastern Youth League Cup 2nd Round, Wednesday 15th January

After two defeats before Christmas, Yarmouth Youth got back to winning ways and Man-of-the-Match Jonathan Beck was virtually all that stood between the young Bloaters and a big score in this League Cup tie at the Wellesley. The Diss keeper time and again denied Yarmouth with some excellent stopping and catching.

Unfortunately for him, his one mistake led to Yarmouth taking the lead after 18 minutes when he fumbled a cross from Robert Southern and Ian Smith slotted home the loose ball from the edge of the box.

Despite peppering the Diss goal from then on, Yarmouth only had one more goal to show for their efforts, a superb angled lob from Luke Goreham in the 77th minute. The same player also hit the bar earlier in the second half.


Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Wed. 18th Dec.

"We just didn't take our chances," bemoaned coach Derek Bevan after this latest setback to the team's title ambitions.

Yarmouth had the best of the first twenty minutes play without scoring, and then conceded a soft goal when a poor backpass was only half cleared by keeper Elliott Pride and a Fakenham forward pounced to slot home.

"Even then, I felt we were doing well enough and would come back," commented coach Bevan.

And so they did when, at the start of the second half Jamie Henderson equalised from close range. However, four minutes later Fakenham were back in front: Yarmouth captain Nathan McKay was unable to reach a pass in midfield, Fakenham intercepted and scored their second.

Then, after an hour's play, Yarmouth equalised for the second time when from a Robert Southern corner Luke Goreham forced the ball home. With chances now coming thick and fast, Fakenham then scored what proved the winner with a hopeful long shot that looped over Pride.

"After that, we hit the woodwork two or three times and had shots cleared off the line," lamented Bevan, "but in the end we suffered from a loss of discipline, and didn't do the right thing at the right time and in the right place. We didn't close them down quickly enough."

To sum up a miserable night for the young Bloaters, McKay was sent off 15 minutes from the end for a second bookable offence.

NORWICH UNITED 4, GT YARMOUTH 2                                                                  Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Thurs. 28th Nov.

This result came as a real shock to the system after seeing the Youth side previously defeat all-comers. One-nil down at half time, the boys then went 2-1 up through Mori Etchells (a tap-in) and Robert Southern (header from a Luke Goreham cross) and seemed to have done the hard work, but United had other ideas. Perhaps Yarmouth, after recent results, had developed thoughts of invincibility: well, any ideas of this sort were rudely quashed as the home side went on to score three more times without reply.

Manager Trevor Harrison said that several players had an off night together and that overall the team played poorly and not to their ability: "The writing was on the wall when we played Wroxham, though somehow we got the result even though we played badly that night. Perhaps this is the kick up the backside the boys needed. We don't have an inalienable right to win matches - we have to continue to work hard at it."

GT YARMOUTH 5, DISS TOWN 0                                                                                    Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Weds. 20th Nov.

Trevor Harrison's boys took advantage of second-placed Lowestoft's cup involvement to take a four point lead at the top of the Eastern Division. A hat-trick from man-of-the-moment Jamie Henderson warmed the hardy spectators on a cold night at the Wellesley. Debut-making goalkeeper Elliott Pride also put in a performance to be proud of!

Henderson gave the Bloaters a 15th minute lead, then made it 2-0 eight minutes before the break. A series of good inswinging corners kept the Diss side on their toes and only a Shaun Wones shot gave them some relief from defensive duties. Luke Goreham shot into the side netting and Mark George saw his fierce shot turned aside for a corner.

Yarmouth kept up the pressure in the second half. Immediately on the resumption, Rob Southern made the score 3-0, then the Diss keeper made the save of the night, tipping the ball over the bar for another corner. Henderson completed his hat-trick on 61 minutes after a great run by Southern whose shot was parried, and Southern grabbed his second with a shot into the roof of the net in the 77th minute.

Yarmouth domination was relentless and a Mori Etchells shot shaved the far post with keeper Jonathan Beck well-beaten. Diss' only shot of the half by Ben Green was saved by Elliot at the expense of a rare corner. Elliott showed great awareness and positioning and wasn't afraid to come off his line to claim the ball.

WROXHAM 0, GT YARMOUTH 1                                                  Authentic Football Youth League Cup, 2nd Round, Thurs. 7th Nov.

A proverbial "game of two halves" saw Yarmouth go ahead in the first half then defend stoutly in the second.

It was a typical cup-tie and although the team got the result they did not play well apart from a twenty minute spell in the first half. Stephen Taylor, Mori Etchells and Robert Southern all had chances before Etchells scored after latching onto a mishit backpass after 25 minutes of the game.

Injury problems mounted up by half time and Jamie Guest in goal had to be replaced by Russell Cook. Several others played on though having taken knocks but Wroxham understandably dominated the second half. Captain Nathan McKay, though booked for a tackle caused by over-exhuberance, was a rock, however, and the Yachtsmen could not find a way through.

Secretary Brian Smith commented that it was the first real test of the boys this season, and coach Derek Bevan said that it was the best show of character and spirit he had seen for many a game - he nominated Ben Dixon as his man-of-the-match.

Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Wednesday 30th October
The game started at a cracking pace. A Nathan McKay rocket hit the Harford crossbar in the second minute and two minutes later Yarmouth took the lead with a smart Stephen Taylor finish from a Mori Etchells cross. Within another four minutes, Harford had equalised through Karl Linturn, but Yarmouth dictated the game and scored three times in seven minutes midway through the half. They went 2-1 ahead through Jamie Henderson in the 25th minute after a superb pass from Robert Southern spread the play and Ethcells was able to get in another telling cross.
Three minutes later, Luke Goreham got the first of his two goals with a tremendous shot, and in the 32nd minute defender Ben Dixon went forward to rise above everybody and head number four from a Southern free kick.
Twelve minutes after the resumption, Goreham got Yarmouth's fifth, again from an Etchells cross. More goals looked on but the visiting 'keeper, Adam Yaxley, made two great saves in quick succession. Harford had not given up entirely though, and Linturn saw his 30 yard shot saved by Jamie Guest before visiting captain Chris Coe scored a good second goal for Harford near the end. Yarmouth had one further chance when a header rebounded off Yaxley's bar right on time.

Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Thurs. 17th. Oct.
Another two goals from Jamie Henderson helped Yarmouth to maintain their position at the head of the Eastern Division though at half time the game looked quite even with the score at 1-1. Mori Etchells gave Yarmouth the lead after Henderson played the ball back to him but carelessness at the back allowed pointless Diss their first goal in the league this season.
The second half was a different story as is becoming familiar this season. The passing was much better and the finishing more accurate. Henderson made it 2-1 from close range, and as Yarmouth got well on top, he added the third. Luke Goreham finished off in style to secure Yarmouth's fifth win in six games.

GT YARMOUTH 5, NORWICH UTD 0                                                                    Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Weds. 9th. Oct.

This was another - in the end - easy victory for the Under 18s and the second consecutive match in which they recorded a clean sheet.

But for nearly forty minutes Norwich United competed well and made a game of it, and it needed a couple of goalline clearances to stop them scoring.

Then three goals in the six minutes before half time settled the issue. Robert Southern was first on the scoresheet with his sixth goal of the season, finishing off a Nathan McKay toepunt back into the box after a clearance. Shortly after, Jamie Henderson made it 2-0 with a sharp finish and a minute later Mori Etchells put the result beyond all reasonable doubt.

On the hour Henderson grabbed his second of the night (and his seventh in only five games) even while Robert Southern was down injured on the edge of the United box - he retired to take no further part. Will Lewis made it 5-0 five minutes later. With a quarter of an hour to go, Henderson missed the chance of a hat-trick when he scooped the ball over the bar from five yards out.

Manager Trevor Harrison was delighted with the win and the performance: "We've been improving every game and I can see it all coming together now. We have gathered some quality boys in the squad - and there are more to come!"

WATTON 0, GT YARMOUTH 7                                                                                   Authentic Football Eastern Youth League, Thurs 3rd Oct.

Jamie Henderson scored four goals as Yarmouth Under 18s easily defeated their West Norfok rivals.

The first half was a sad tale of missed chances for the Bloaters' and they only had Henderson's 40th minute close-range shot to show for their efforts.

However, a good talking to at half time by the manager shook them up and they added a further six goals. Henderson, two minutes after the restart and on the hour completed his hat-trick, then added a superb fourth from Robert Southern's cross.

Nathan McKay hit one into the top corner with his left foot to complete a nap hand before sub Nicholls made it 6-0. The final goal scame from Luke Goreham with a close-range shot.

Bobby Hill came in from Martham for a fine debut while Will Lewis and Ben Dixon were like rocks in the defence. "Success only comes from hard work and training," commented club coach Derek Bevan.

GT YARMOUTH 7, HAVERHILL 2                                                                                Authentic Football Eastern Youth League Cup 1st Round, Weds. 25th Sept.

Having only recently scored his first ever goal for the Youth side, Robert Southern obviously has a taste for it now as he bagged four in this League Cup first round tie.

Three came in the first half in the 22nd, 28th and 38th minutes, following a Lewis header from a corner after only seven minutes and an Ian Moore strike in the 16th minute.

Haverhill only made two chances, Hunn hitting over the bar and Nunn completely missing his kick in front of goal.

However, in the second half the visitors had a much greater share of the game and pulled two goals back after Southern had scored his fourth of the night after 61 minutes. On 66 minutes Hutchins drilled home a fierce low shot, and Austin scored from the spot in the 77th minute after a foul in the home penalty area.

James Henderson wrapped up the scoring in the 83rd minute after latching on to a mis-headed clearance.

Authentic Football Youth League, Weds. 18th Sept.
Yarmouth came from behind once again to deservedly gain something out of this game against a strong Mulbarton-Hewett side.
The only goal of the first half was netted by Luke Goreham who scored at close range from a corner.
But Mulbarton-Hewett equalised then went ahead after the interval before Mark George, Nathan McKay and Rob Southern combined to work the ball to Mori Etchells who hit a superb volley on the turn to level the scores near the end. Yarmouth finished strongly but could not force a winner.

Authentic Football Youth League, Weds. 11th. Sept.
A pulsating game of youth soccer saw Yarmouth emerge victorious in a seven-goal thriller.
At half-time, though, Lowestoft looked likely winners with their 3-1 advantage. Steve Taylor headed Yarmouth into a seventh minute lead but goals from McKenna (14 minutes), Hove (22nd minute) and McKenna again (40 minutes) sent the Blues in at half-time in good spirits.
Yarmouth had a much better second half and Rob Southern dented Lowestoft's confidence (and their drummer's enthusiasm) with a second Bloaters' goal on 52 minutes. Buckenham saved Yarmouth with a brave dive at the feet of an unrushing forward but had to be substituted soon after with injury, Henderson taking his place.
Yarmouth won the game with two late goals: substitute Ian Moore headed the equaliser after 81 minutes and two minutes later Luke Goreham netted direct from a free kick for what proved to be the winner. Yarmouth even had late chances to increase their lead before the final whistle.

Authentic Football Youth League, Weds. 28th Aug.
In their first game of the season Yarmouth Yth got off to an excellent start with a goal inside four minutes: Mori Etchells was played onside as a poor clearance was played forward to him and the big number nine took the ball on and produced a swerving shot all along the ground that beat visiting 'keeper Brown all ends up. A second goal was soon forthcoming when Will Lewis met a corner to the far post with a great header in the tenth minute.
It was all Yarmouth in the early stages but against the run of play Dereham pulled a goal back with a Haywood header at the far post. Then Yarmouth restored the two-goal lead when Darren Smith hit an unstoppable shot past Brown on 24 minutes.
The second half was only seconds old when Dereham made it 3-2 through Darke and although there was no let up in the action that was the end of the scoring.
Yarmouth's Jamie Guest had an effort ruled out for offside before Dereham created several chances, helped by Yarmouth errors. Smith and Rowley then had further efforts for Yarmouth but right at the end Clayton Buckenham in the home goal saved all the points with a super save.